The Association noted that the move to change the designation by the Nurses and Midwifery Council (NMC) contravenes Article 191(b) of the 1992 Constitution and amounts to demotion.
Mrs Esther Bamfo, President of the Association addressing a news conference said a petition to have been sent to the Minister of Health and NMC since May to reverse the decision but to no avail.
“We have suffered discrimination and frustration for far too long and would not sit down for this demotion to be carried out,” she said, indicating that the NMC failed to engage the association before the re-designation.
She noted that the association is giving the Nurses and Midwifery Council a 14- day ultimatum to reverse the re-designation; “we will embark on a peaceful demonstration and if that is not heeded to, we will then lay down our tools and thereafter seek a court intervention”.
Mrs Bamfo said Community Health Nurses Training Schools are trained for two years and work at the community level to undertake and champion health prevention and promotion.
She said for than 50 years they have been frontline actors in healthcare delivery in Ghana and are champions of Community-based Health Planning and Services programme.
She said for decades Community Health Nurses have performed vast range of services such as immunisation, family planning activities, deliveries and some aspects of curative healthcare.
Mrs Bamfo said if there is a change of designation to Nurse Assistant the roles must also change.
She said Community Health Nurses give assistance to about 687 people in a community but with nurse assistant it simply means that they would only provide support to the main nurses.
Through the independent efforts of Community Health Nurses in the country, healthcare have been made accessible to all and sundry and have also helped in reducing maternal mortality and infant mortality in various parts of the country.
Ghana News Association
» Get your Original JAMB Admission Letter : Click here to Apply!
» Get your JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it: Click here to Apply!
» Buy & Download Original Post UTME Past Questions and Answers (Up-to-Date):
myPastQuestion.com Products and Services:
- Post UTME Past Questions = from N1,000
- JAMB Past Questions = N1,500
- WAEC/NECO Past Questions = N500 per subject
- Junior (JS33) Past Questions = N1,000 per subject
- All Scholarship Past Questions = N2,000
- JUPEB Past Questions = N2,000
- NDA Past Questions = N2,000
- NPA Past Questions = N1,500
- Job Interview Past Questions = N2,000
- JAMB Original Result = N2,200
- JAMB Admission Letter = N2,200
- JAMB Result Checker Card = N2,000
- WAEC Result Checker Card = N800
- NECO Result Checker Card = N800
- Post UTME Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- JAMB CBT Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- Creation of Blogs = N10,000
AD: Make Money Online: Turn N12,500 into N50,000 with Ultimate Cycler in One Week. Click Here to Learn More
Tags: Community Health Nurses