AUCHI- A legal practitioner in Edo State, Barr. Anthony Atemoagbo has urged the Federal Government to concentrate more on implementation of the existing WAEC Act to ensure that suspects are actually convicted and not necessarily raising the fine.
The observation is coming on the heels of the current move by the House of Representatives seeking to amend the Act to raise the fine from N2,000 to N200,000 on conviction.
Barr. Atemoagbo who is the immediate past Chairman, Nigeria Barr, Association (NBA) Auchi chapter while exchanging view with our correspondent in Auchi argued that the magnitude of the fine was not the problem but ensuring the applicability of the law to reflect the deserved stigma on the convicts so as to serve as deterrent.
He noted that on conviction, the culprits reputation was already at stake as employers of labour and the public would then be scared to engage such a person.
Atemoagbo explained that the most important consideration was to ensure that culprits are convicted and not raising the fine as being proposed by the House of Representatives, as the average Nigerian would always be able to pay the fine.
According to him, if for example, the law provides that a convict should not get recognition either in employment or otherwise for a period of say ten years, that is sufficient stigma”.
The former NBA Chairman therefore cautioned the nations leaders to be morally up right in their dealings and against indiscriminate granting of amnesty to persons of questionable character, saying that this would not help the system in the search for a decent society.
The legal practitioner noted that even if the conviction is underplayed right thinking members of public would always be there to take record of the stigma
myPastQuestion.com Products and Services:
- Post UTME Past Questions = from N1,000
- JAMB Past Questions = N1,500
- WAEC/NECO Past Questions = N500 per subject
- Junior (JS33) Past Questions = N1,000 per subject
- All Scholarship Past Questions = N2,000
- JUPEB Past Questions = N2,000
- NDA Past Questions = N2,000
- NPA Past Questions = N1,500
- Job Interview Past Questions = N2,000
- JAMB Original Result = N2,200
- JAMB Admission Letter = N2,200
- JAMB Result Checker Card = N2,000
- WAEC Result Checker Card = N800
- NECO Result Checker Card = N800
- Post UTME Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- JAMB CBT Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- Creation of Blogs = N10,000
AD: Make Money Online: Turn N12,500 into N50,000 with Ultimate Cycler in One Week. Click Here to Learn More