The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in Nasarawa State University, Keffi, yesterday suspended its indefinite strike which lasted over two months.
The union suspended the strike following the payment of 20 percent out of 40 percent of the total Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) owed them by the institution which amounted to N162m.
The ASUU chairman at the university, Dr. Theophilus Daniel Lagi, who announced the suspension at a media briefing at the end of the union’s meeting in Keffi, said the union suspended the strike following the payment of 20 percent out of 40 percent of the total Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) owed them by the institution which amounted to N162m.
He said they decided to suspend the strike after intervention by well-meaning individuals and payment of the allowance.
“Now that we have received the alert, we are hereby suspending the strike and urging the state government through the management of the institution to fulfil its promises as contained in the MOU signed between the management and the union in the interest of the education sector, ” he said.
Lagi noted that the strike was in the first place due to inability of the university’s management to meet their demands.
Reacting, the Registrar of the university, Alhaji Dalhatu Mamman, commended the union for the decision, saying, the management would meet with the university senate today to set a date for resumption and look into the academic calendar.
The Vice Chancellor, Prof. Mohammed Akaro-Mainoma, had earlier said the university lost over N627m to the strike which he said affected both financial and academic activities in the institution. He said the state government had released money to the institution to pay the lecturers to enable them return to work. ASUU declared an indefinite strike on March 7, 2016.
myPastQuestion.com Products and Services:
- Post UTME Past Questions = from N1,000
- JAMB Past Questions = N1,500
- WAEC/NECO Past Questions = N500 per subject
- Junior (JS33) Past Questions = N1,000 per subject
- All Scholarship Past Questions = N2,000
- JUPEB Past Questions = N2,000
- NDA Past Questions = N2,000
- NPA Past Questions = N1,500
- Job Interview Past Questions = N2,000
- JAMB Original Result = N2,200
- JAMB Admission Letter = N2,200
- JAMB Result Checker Card = N2,000
- WAEC Result Checker Card = N800
- NECO Result Checker Card = N800
- Post UTME Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- JAMB CBT Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- Creation of Blogs = N10,000
AD: Online Shopping - Electronics, Phones, Laptops - ShopDirect.NG
Information is Power! Don't miss any information about your examination or your school because of lack of timely updates. The best thing you should do is to Register for FREE Email Alert! by Mail