The Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Universities (ASUU) wants Gov. Adams Oshiomhole of Edo to pay compensation to members of staff of University of Benin (UNIBEN) over the demolition of property in the school.
Prof. Suleiman Muhammad, Zonal Coordinator, ASUU Abuja Zone, made this known when he briefed newsmen in Abuja on Sunday.
Mohammad said that Oshiomhole should have waited for the Court of Appeal to decide on UNIBEN’s appeal before embarking on the demolition.
He said that ASUU was surprised that Oshiomhole continued with the demolition after promising to stay action pending the determination of the case.
“Gov. Oshiomhole should live up to his promise to compensate the members of staff of the UNIBEN who were affected by the demolition.
“Members of the public will recall the uproar generated by his action sometime ago, when he demolished property occupied by staff of the University of Benin.
“This action came on the heels of a court judgment in the favour of Edo State Government against which the university immediately filed an appeal.
“Rather than allowing the case to run its course in the court of appeal, Mr Oshiomhole carried on with the demolition,’’ Muhammad said.
He said that Oshiomhole had made overtures to the staff of the university who were affected by the exercise, and promised to make amend by compensating those who suffered some losses.
Muhammad said that the governor made several promises to the leadership of ASUU when the union raised objection to the demolition.
“He also promised to allow the ongoing court process to run its course.
“To the surprise of the leadership of the ASUU, especially its members at UNIBEN, Oshiomhole has gone back on his words.
“He has directed the complete demolition of the remaining part of the structures that were the properties of UNIBEN while the Court of Appeal is yet to decide on the case,’’ Muhammad said.
The ASUU zonal coordinator said that the action of the governor was condemnable, adding that the union would not take it lightly. (NAN)
myPastQuestion.com Products and Services:
- Post UTME Past Questions = from N1,000
- JAMB Past Questions = N1,500
- WAEC/NECO Past Questions = N500 per subject
- Junior (JS33) Past Questions = N1,000 per subject
- All Scholarship Past Questions = N2,000
- JUPEB Past Questions = N2,000
- NDA Past Questions = N2,000
- NPA Past Questions = N1,500
- Job Interview Past Questions = N2,000
- JAMB Original Result = N2,200
- JAMB Admission Letter = N2,200
- JAMB Result Checker Card = N2,000
- WAEC Result Checker Card = N800
- NECO Result Checker Card = N800
- Post UTME Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- JAMB CBT Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- Creation of Blogs = N10,000
AD: Make Money Online: Turn N12,500 into N50,000 with Ultimate Cycler in One Week. Click Here to Learn More