Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states – Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna – focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Revision of CDGP Implementation Manual
- SCI and ACF have been contracted by DFID to implement a large-scale social protection programme in Northern Nigeria, the Child Development Grant Programme (CDGP). CDGP provides an unconditional cash transfer of 3,500 NGN (approximately £14) per month to pregnant women and women with children under the age of two (2) in Zamfara and Jigawa accompanied by behavioural change communication, to tackle poverty, food insecurity and malnutrition.
- The programme is being implemented in two states of Northern Nigeria, Jigawa and Zamfara, with close collaboration and involvement of state governments.
- The programme is aimed at reducing the prevalence of stunting and improving food security.
- There are 4 key outputs of the programme:
- Output 1: Design and deliver a secure payments mechanism providing regular, timely cash transfers to pregnant women and women with under-2s.
- Output 2: Effective system for mobilisation, targeting and complementary interventions.
- Output 3: Enhanced government capacities for managing cash transfers in focus States.
- Output 4: Evidence of cash transfer modalities and impacts provided to policymakers and practitioners at State and Federal levels.
- SCI, ACF and DFID aim to secure increased political and institutional commitment by the Zamfara and Jigawa state governments to implement effective state-wide social protection to deliver improved nutrition, food security and poverty reduction for women and children at scale.
- A State Engagement Strategy is being developed to outline how the programme will secure increased political and institutional commitment for the programme and its transition to government and state wide scale up.
- The CDGP can provide the necessary leverage for the state governments to adopt and scale-up a state wide social transfer programme, using their own resources, with support from the federal government.
- The CGDP aims to engage state authorities in a proactive strategy that builds understanding and technical capability, through technical assistance, secondments and capacity-building, awareness and improved understanding of social protection.
- The CDGP is accompanied by an independent evaluation that will provide rigorous evidence on impact that will be used at a variety of stages through the life of the programme to influence Zamfara and Jigawa state governments to adopt and scale up state-wide the approaches used in CDGP.
Objectives and Overview of Consultancy
The programme Implementation Manual (IM) provides detailed guidance to programme staff, government partners and DFID on the Child Development Grant Programme (CDGP) design and implementation. The manual also outlin The objectives of this consultancy are:
- Add sufficient detail on all programme aspects outlined in the manual
- Edit the manual so that it reads like a manual and is more instructive to the reader ensuring that the approach used i� consistent throughout the document.
- Finalize the manual so that it can be shared with staff and stakeholders and uploaded onto the website.
The IM review and finalization will be carried out by a national consultant. The consultant will work with the thematic leads and the CDGP Social Protection advisor using the following suggested methodology which is open for review;
- A review of the current draft of IM
- The consultant will review the current IM and key programme documents
- Individual interviews with thematic leads
- To clarify information and fill gaps.
- Redraft and finalize manual
- The consultant is to submit:
- A finalised implementation manual
Required Skills/Experience of Consultant/ Consultancy Firmementation manualRequired Skills/Experience of Consultant/ Consultancy Firm
The consultant(s) will have the following skills mix/experience:
- Excellent writing skills
- Proven experience writing programme documents, guidelines or manuals
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2016.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online