Five deaths occurred among 109 cases of measles recorded between January and October 2015 in Niger State, says Dr. Aliyu Yabagi Shehu, Executive Director, National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, NPHDA.
According to him, the five deaths were of children aged between nine months to five years, following denial of access by their parents during measles vaccination days.
Shehu, who disclosed this during a one-day meeting with the media in Minna, the state capital, said 4,392 cases of measles were reported in 296 local government areas in 32 states of the nation in 2014.
He explained that to ensure every child between 0 to 5 years is immunised against the virus, the agency would soon embark on a one-week vaccination campaign in which a total of 907,367 children will be vaccinated.
The executive director stated that so far, measles vaccination have prevented an estimated death of 15.6 million and reduced global measles death by 75 per cent.
Also, the State Immunisation Officer, Dr. Samuel Jiya, said during vaccination campaign the agency will ensure 95 per cent coverage of every child, adding that anything below it will not cover WHO standard.
Expressing hope at the commitment by government at all levels to ensure total eradication of measles by 2020, Jiya urged parents, traditional and religious leaders to mobilise their people to ensure they allow their children and wards receive vaccination.
By: Priscilla Dennis
National Mirror News
» Get your Original JAMB Admission Letter : Click here to Apply!
» Get your JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it: Click here to Apply!
» Buy & Download Original Post UTME Past Questions and Answers (Up-to-Date):
myPastQuestion.com Products and Services:
- Post UTME Past Questions = from N1,000
- JAMB Past Questions = N1,500
- WAEC/NECO Past Questions = N500 per subject
- Junior (JS33) Past Questions = N1,000 per subject
- All Scholarship Past Questions = N2,000
- JUPEB Past Questions = N2,000
- NDA Past Questions = N2,000
- NPA Past Questions = N1,500
- Job Interview Past Questions = N2,000
- WAEC Result Checker Card = N800
- NECO Result Checker Card = N800
- Post UTME Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- Exam Success Guide (eBook) = N1,000
- Creation of Blogs = N10,000
Tags: Five Kids Died