Project management is the discipline of initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria.
The primary challenge of project management is to achieve all of the project goals within the given constraints.
If you love organizing schemes, resources and people, a career as a project manager may suit you.
As a project manager it is your responsibility to deliver projects on time and in budget, by planning and organizing resources and people.
You’ll need to track work to be completed, set deadlines and delegate tasks to the project team, identifying any potential risks.
Ultimately, you are responsible for completing the project work in line with the plan and will often report progress to senior managers.
List Of schools that offer Project Management in nigeria
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri
- Federal University Of Technology, Akure
- Federal University Of Technology Minna
Project Management Types of work
Project managers work in a variety of sectors, such as:
Roles and Responsibilities of Project Managers
Project managers are accountable for delivering outcomes, so you’ll have high levels of responsibility to ensure that you and your team are on track. These are:
Initiating – checking feasibility and working out budgets, teams and resources;
Planning – setting goals, defining roles and producing schedules of tasks. Some tools, such as Gantt Charts, can be used to create a visual project plan;
Executing – managing the project;
Monitoring and controlling – tracking the project’s progress;
Closing – evaluating successes and challenges to enhance learning for your next project.
As a project manager, you’ll need to:
- set objectives in line with your organization or client needs, which may include scope, content, timings and budget;
- plan work and set deadlines to meet the agreed needs;
- select, lead and motivate your project team from both internal and external stakeholder organizations;
- monitor the work to make sure it is on time and within budget;
- co-ordinate the work of your project team and delegate tasks where appropriate;
Key Skills for Project Managers
- Organizational skills
- Analytical skills
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Numeracy skills
- Commercial awareness
- Communication skills
Job opportunities for Project Managers in Nigeria
Project managers are the people in charge of a specific project or projects within a company. As a project manager, your job is to plan, budget, oversee and document all aspect of the project you are working on. There are diverse opportunities for project managers in Nigeria.
Typical employers of project managers include:
- Construction companies such as the China Civil Engineering Company (CCECC), Arab Contractors, Julius Berger Nigeria, Reynold Construction Company (RCC) Nigeria and many more.
- Oil and Gas Companies such as Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), Chevron Nigeria Limited (CNL), Nigeria Agip Oil Company (NAOC) and so on.
- Engineering firms such as Prowess Engineering, Ponticelli Nigeria Limited and so on.
- Manufacturers such as Procter & Gamble (P&G) Nigeria and so on.
- Public sector organizations such as the federal and state ministry of works, federal and state ministry of housing and so on.
» Download Nigerian Universities Scholarship Past Questions and Answers
» Download WAEC Past Questions for All subjects
» Get your Original JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it.