In this post, we will look at the full list of schools that offer Petroleum Engineering In Nigeria. Petrochemical engineering is a branch of Chemical Engineering which deals with operations involved in refining petroleum or crude oil by the use of advanced technology.
Petrochemical engineering is the application of science, in particular chemistry, physics and mathematics, to the process of converting raw materials of petroleum or other hydrocarbon origin into more useful or valuable products.
They are engaged in the development and production of a diverse range of products, commodities and specialty chemicals.
These products include high performance materials needed for aerospace, automotive, biomedical, electronic, military, and environmental and health applications, which lead to a sustainable and improved quality of life.
Petrochemical engineers turn raw materials into valuable products using petrochemical processes.
Petrochemical engineers are the wizards of the chemical world, constantly using their scientific know-how to combine elements and create new synthetic substances that are useful on a daily basis.
Petrochemical engineers use petrochemicals to process our foods, create our clothes, fuel our cars, heat our homes, and recycle new materials from refuse. They turn raw materials into valuable products.
The work of a petrochemical engineer usually takes place in laboratories or specialized centers but in the oil and natural gas industry they are often sent to the refineries or oilfields to supervise processes or experiments on site.
Petrochemical engineers are required to constantly update their specialized skills in order to keep up with technological advances in the industry.
Petrochemical engineers work in a variety of industries, alongside scientists, mathematicians and administrators.
The majority of their work revolves around using creative and analytical thinking to come up with new or more cost-effective processes for producing products. Some of the daily tasks include:
- Designing and managing petrochemical processing plants
- Supervising technicians and engineers within the plant
- Designing and operating environmental control systems
- Determining cost-effective processes for commercial production
- Working within an office, industrial plant or lab setting
- The world owes a great deal to the innovations of these engineers.
Without the help of petrochemical engineers, many of the products we use in our lives everyday simply wouldn’t exist. Dishwasher-safe containers that withstand high heat, ropes and even carpet fibers are all made from substances derived from crude oil.
Usually working as part of a team of scientists, technicians and other engineers, the petrochemical engineer is basically an alchemist who transforms crude oil matter into useful products.
If you’re still in high school, you should take as many math and chemistry courses as you can. Most university petrochemical engineering programs will require a high number of math and chemistry credits as prerequisites for this course.
List of Schools Offering Petroleum Engineering In Nigeria
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri
- University Of Benin, Benin City
- Federal University Of Petroleum Resources, Effurun
- University Of Uyo
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Rivers State University Of Science And Technology, Port Harcourt
- Niger Delta University , Wilberforce Island
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi
- Bayero University, Kano
- Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State
- Covenant University, Canaan Land, Ota
- Afe Babalola University , Ado-Ekiti
- Ondo State University Of Science And Technology, Okitipupa
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
- Madonna University, Okija
Read Also: How to Become Petroleum Engineer in Nigeria
Job Opportunities for Petrochemical Engineers in Nigeria
There are diverse opportunities for petrochemical engineers in Nigeria. They are massively employed at the downstream sector of the oil industry.
The downstream sector is concerned with refining of crude oil as well as the marketing and distribution of products derived from crude oil and natural gas.
Petrochemical industries where petrochemical engineers can be suitably employed include:
- Warri Refinery and Petrochemical plant
- Port-Harcourt Refinery
- Forte Oil Nigeria Limited
- Conoil Nigeria and many more
They are also employed at the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation and agencies under it.
» Download Nigerian Universities Scholarship Past Questions and Answers
» Download WAEC Past Questions for All subjects
» Download Original Post UTME Past Questions and Answers (Up-to-Date):
» Get your Original JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it.