Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the North East of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program in July 2014.
For the finance specific role, the Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Location: Abuja (with frequent travel to offices in the North East states including Gombe, Adamawa and Borno)
Position Category: Full Time
General Position Summary
- Working in the North East under the umbrella of the humanitarian response, the Senior Finance Officer under the direction of the Head Of Office and technical support from the Finance Manager in Abuja, will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in a timely and accurate manner as well as provide financial review and support to the programs.
- This position requires travel within the North East of Nigeria for support to programs as well as Abuja for coordination on finances.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervise the finance team members in all sub-offices including Gombe, Adamawa and Borno.
- Provide financial review for transactions and documentation processed for the humanitarian portfolio programs including travel approval requests, employee expense reports, payment requests, purchase requests, purchase orders and service contracts as per the approval authority matrix.
- Manage the liquidity of sub-offices through the review and submission of cashflow projections and petty cash requests.
- Supervise petty cash accounts in sub-offices managed directly by the finance assistants.
- Supervise the bank accounts in sub-offices managed directly by the finance officer.
- Review all documentation within financial review authority for accuracy, completeness and compliance.
- Review all payment vouchers and supervise recording into financial system.
- Maintain appropriate filing as per policy such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded.
- Manage month end closing process for sub-offices including cash counts, recording of payments and reconciliation of bank accounts.
- Manage the field bank accounts and banking relationship, ensure a balanced bank account balance and submit funds transfer requests to Abuja based on policy.
- Assist in budget preparation and management activities as the need arises.
- Respond to staff requests for information regarding invoices and their program budgets in a proactive and timely manner. Escalate to Finance Manager if necessary.
- Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues.
- Liaise with statutory bodies and make statutory remittance to relevant bodies.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Finance Officer, Finance Assistants and Finance Interns – Northeast Nigeria
Reports Directly to:
- Head of Office with indirect technical reporting line to Finance Manager.
Works directly with:
- Finance, Program and Operation Teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- Five or more years of bookkeeping, accounting and finance. Experience in development sector is preferable.
- A degree in Accounting or a relevant Business field is required.
- Professional qualification is required.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel is a must.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Management of staff is highly of added value
- Fluency in Hausa language is needed
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit CV and Cover Letter, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we encourage women to apply.
Application Deadline Date
27th May, 2016