In this post you will see the 8 Universities That Offer Masters in Public Health in Nigeria. Public health is defined as the science of protecting the safety and improving the health of communities through education, policy making and research for disease and injury prevention.
The definition of public health is different for every person. Whether you like to crunch numbers, conduct laboratory or field research, formulate policy, or work directly with people to help improve their health, there is a place for you in the field of public health. Being a public health professional enables you to work around the world, address health problems of communities as a whole, and influence policies that affect the health of societies.
The five core disciplines are:
Behavioral science/Health education
Behavioral Science and Health Education engages people to make healthy decisions. It is one of the five core disciplines of public health. Students pursuing a degree in this field may end up in a career that:
- Educates parents on how to provide a healthy environment for their children
- Helps adolescents make better decisions regarding drugs and alcohol
- Creates campaigns to encourage positive health behaviors
- Works with seniors on how to improve their quality of life
Biostatistics is an innovative field that involves the design, analysis, and interpretation of data for studies in public health and medicine. Biostatistics experts arrive at conclusions about disease and health risks by evaluating and applying mathematical and statistical formulas to the factors that impact health.
Environmental Health is the field of science that studies how the environment influences human health and disease. “Environment,” in this context, means things in the natural environment like air, water and soil, and also all the physical, chemical, biological and social features of our surroundings.
Epidemiology is the study and analysis of the patterns, causes, and effects of health and disease conditions in defined populations. It is the cornerstone of public health, and shapes policy decisions and evidence-based practice by identifying risk factors for disease and targets for preventive healthcare.
Health Services Administration
Health services administration involves managing the integration of all aspects of health-care to provide services. HSA graduates are concerned with the business aspect of the health industry: human resources, accounting, marketing and sales, planning, information systems, and facility management.
8 Universities That Offer Masters in Public Health in Nigeria
- BABCOCK – Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- CALABAR – University of Calabar, Calabar
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- MADONNA – Madonna University, Okija
- UNIOSUN – Osun State University, Osogbo
- ABSU – Abia State University
- AUE – Adeleke University, Ede
- BASU – Bauchi State University
What Do Publics Health Professionals Do?
As a public health professional, you will be trained to perform one or more of these ten essential services:
- Monitor the health status of a community to identify potential problems
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and hazards in the community
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues, particularly the underserved and those at risk
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety
- Link people to needed personal health services and ensure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable
- Ensure a competent public health and personal health care workforce
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services
- Research new insights and innovative solutions to health problems
Job Opportunities for Graduate of Public Health
With a degree in public health, you could secure gainful employment in:
- Federal and state government ministry of health
- Government agencies such as Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Nigeria Institute for medical research (NIMR), Federal Environmental Protection Agency(FEPA), National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC), National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), National Action Committee on AIDS (NACA) and so on.
- University teaching hospitals across the country
- State hospitals across the country
- College and universities, such as schools of public health or medicine
- Private Sector companies such as Pharmaceutical e.g. May and Baker Nigeria, GlaxoSmithKline Nigeria etc. and health insurers
- Non Governmental organizations such as Red cross, United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Sickle Cell Foundation Nigeria and so on
» Download Nigerian Universities Scholarship Past Questions and Answers
» Download WAEC Past Questions for All subjects
» Get your Original JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it.