See the full list of 21 Universities that Offer Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria here. The Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences of most universities and colleges in Nigeria offers a five-year professional B.MLS degree programme in Medical Laboratory Science.
Courses in Medical Laboratory Science are taught under five disciplines: Clinical Chemistry, Haematology, Medical Microbiology, Histopathology and Immunology including Instrumentation and Pharmacology.
In the first four years the student attains over-all competence in all these disciplines. The final year is reserved for undergraduate specialization in any two of these Medical Laboratory subjects one as a Major, and the other as a Minor area of specialization.
The courses are designed to highlight to the student the central role laboratory investigation of components of biological fluids, blood, urine, cerebro-spinal fluid, secretions, excretions, tissues or organs play in the diagnosis, management and prognosis of disease states. The student also at the end of the course acquires the expertise to fabricate new equipment or repair or modify existing ones, and refine old techniques or introduce new diagnostic procedres.
21 Universities that Offer Medical Laboratory Science In Nigeria
- AAU – Adekunle Ajasin University
- ABUAD – Afe Babalola University
- ABSU – Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- ACHIEVERS – Achievers University
- BABCOCK – Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- BAYERO – Bayaro University
- BENIN – University of Benin
- CALABAR – University of Calabar
- EBSU – Ebonyi State University
- IBADAN – University of Ibadan
- IGBINEDION – Igbinedion University, Okada
- JOS – University of Jos
- LAGOS – University of Lagos Akoka
- LAUTECH – Ladoke Akintola University of Technology
- MADONNA – Madonna University
- MAIDUGURI – University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
- NDU – Niger Delta University
- RSUST – Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- UDU – Usmanu Danfodio University
- UNIZIK – Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- UNN – University of Nigeria Nsukka
Entry Requirements to study Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria
Admission is through UME/JAMB. Candidates must have satisfied the minimum University requirements for admission and are required to obtain credits in English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Mathematics in the Senior School Certificate Examination or its equivalent.
Job Opportunities for Medical Laboratory Science graduates in Nigeria
On the successful completion of the five-year degree programme, students obtain registration with the Institute of Medical Laboratory Sciences and Technology of Nigeria after the completion of one-year internship in a recognized and accredited hospital.
This registration enables them to take up careers in Medical Laboratory Sciences as Medical Laboratory Scientists, in teaching and specialist hospitals, government hospitals, primary health care centers, research centers, private to health centers, private establishments and quality control units of industries.
The graduates have job opportunities as research scientists, teachers in institution of higher learning or they can become employers of labour by establishing their own diagnostic/research laboratories or instrument maintenance/fabrication centers. It is part of their professional ethos to ensure quality and uphold accountability in practice.
» Download Nigerian Universities Scholarship Past Questions and Answers
» Download WAEC Past Questions for All subjects
» Get your Original JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it.