In this post, I will show you the 41 Universities that offer Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria. Medicine encompasses a variety of health care practices evolved to maintain and restore health by the prevention and treatment of illness. Medical doctors are also known as Doctors
Surgery is the specialty of medicine that treats diseases and disorders by cutting, removing or changing the body with an operative procedure that opens the body for therapy. This definition is slowly changing, as new procedures do not require an opening into the body to perform procedures.
Doctors and surgeons diagnose and treat injuries or illnesses. Doctors examine patients; take medical histories; prescribe medications; and order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests.
They often counsel patients on diet, hygiene, and preventive healthcare. Surgeons operate on patients to treat injuries, such as broken bones; diseases, such as cancerous tumors; and deformities, such as cleft palates.
Roles and Responsibilities of Doctors and Surgeons
Doctors and surgeons typically do the following:
- Take a patient’s medical history
- Update charts and patient information to show current findings and treatments
- Order tests for nurses or other healthcare staff to perform
- Review test results to identify any abnormal findings
- Recommend and design a plan of treatment
- Address concerns or answer questions that patients have about their health and well-being
- Help patients take care of their health by discussing topics such as proper nutrition and hygiene
- In addition, surgeons operate on patients to treat injuries, diseases, or deformities.
Doctors and surgeons work in one or more of several specialties.
41 Universities that offer Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria
In this post, we shall explain the following topics:
- federal universities that offer medicine in nigeria
- fully accredited medical schools in nigeria
- list of private universities in nigeria that offer medicine and surgery
- courses under medicine and surgery in nigeria
- top 20 medical schools in nigeria
- mdcn accredited medical schools in nigeria
- does covenant university offer medicine
- how many years to study medicine in nigeria
Below is a list of schools that offer medicine and surgery in Nigeria.
- AAU – Ambros Alli University, Ekpoma
- ABSU – Abia State University, Uturu.
- ABU – Ahmadu Bello university, Zaria
- ABUAD – Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- ABUJA – University of Abuja, Abuja
- COOU – Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- BABCOCK – Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- BAYERO – Bayero University, Kano
- BENIN – Bayero University, Kano
- BINGHAM – Bingham University, Karu,
- BOWEN – Bowen University, Iwo
- BSU – Benue State University, Makurdi
- CALABAR – University of Calabar, Calabar
- DELSU – Delta State University, Abraka
- EBSU – Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki,
- EKSU – Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
- ESUTECH – Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu
- GREGORY – Gregory University, Uturu,
- GSU Gombe – State University, Tudun Wada, Gombe,
- IBADAN – University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State
- IGBINEDION – Igbinedion University, Okada,
- ILORIN – University of Ilorin, Ilorin
- IMSU – Imo State University, Owerri
- JOS – University of Jos, Jos
- KSU – Kogi State University, Anyigba
- LAGOS – University of Lagos Akoka, Lagos
- LASU – Lagos State University, Ojo,
- LAUTECH – Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso.
- MADONNA – Madonna University, Okija
- MAIDUGURI – University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri,
- NDU – Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State
- NTNU – Nigeria Turkish Nile University, Abuja
- OAU – Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- OOU – Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State.
- OSUMS – Ondo State University of Medical Sciences, Ondo,
- PHC – University of Port-Harcourt, Port-Harcourt
- UDU – Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto.
- UNIOSUN – Osun State University, Osogbo
- UNIZIK – Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- UNN – University of Nigeria Nsukka.
- UYO – University of Uyo, Uyo
Job Opportunities for Doctors and Surgeons in Nigeria
There are limitless opportunities for Doctors and surgeons in a country like Nigeria. They are always in demand. Here are places where Doctors and surgeons can be gainfully employed in Nigeria:
- Federal and states ministry of health
- University teaching hospitals across the country
- Federal medical centers across the country
- State hospitals and other government owned clinics
- Private hospitals
They can also be employed by NGOs involved in humanitarian services like Oxfam, World Health Organization, Red Cross and many more.
» Download Nigerian Universities Scholarship Past Questions and Answers
» Download WAEC Past Questions for All subjects
» Get your Original JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it.